Hello Friends of Kanab’s Stellar Vista Observatory!
We are pleased to deliver this newsletter, Volume 1, Number 2 from the Stellar Vista Observatory providing information to donors, supporters, working group members and friends. With these bi-annual updates, we aim to keep you informed on how Kanab’s observatory project is progressing as well as engagement opportunities we offer in the greater Kanab community.
We’d like to hear from you. Please contact SVO president, Rich Csenge at 435-644-3735 to learn more about how you can help make Kanab’s Stellar Vista Observatory a great success!
Here’s an outline of what has been accomplished at SVO over summer and fall 2019.
- SVO receives over $30,000 value in donated telescopes and volunteer service hours for 2019
- SVO website under construction – going live in 2020
- Provided public star party for “Children’s Astronomy Night” at Kanab Library
- 12 inch Meade LX-200 Schmidt Cassegrain Telescope donated to SVO
- Five SVO telescope operators deliver Transit of Mercury across the Sun to over 400 area youth
- SVO makes formal presentation to Kane County Commission
- Kane County Office of Tourism confirms commitment of up to $50,000 in matching dollars to launch SVO’s 2020 fundraising campaign for the observatory
- SVO maintains active presence on Facebook
- Donated Celestron 8-inch Schmidt Cassegrain telescope in service
- SVO Board of Directors expanded to 7 members
- Working group members attend UORG-UCORE Grant Workshop in Kanab
- SVO joins Utah Chapter of the International Dark Sky Association
- Project Proposal for Kanab’s future observatory in final draft stage
- Southern Utah Space Foundation donates 8 portable telescopes to SVO
- Advisory Committee established with first two distinguished members
- SVO meets with BLM Kanab Field Office to discuss possible observatory site locations – Letter forthcoming for public use of “Zion View Star Field”
- Consulted with Kane County GIS specialist on observatory/star field sites
- Trailfest selects SVO to host star party with 4 telescopes for 200 runners at Jacob Hamblin Park
- Schematic architectural design review and revisions continue for future observatory complex
- SVO participates in 2-day Navajo Bridge Star Party with Glen Canyon National Recreation Area
- SVO meets with Governor’s Office of Rural Development to identify available grants
- Visited the University of Utah’s 32” Willard Eccles research telescope on Frisco Peak in Milford
- SVO members participate in South East Utah Dark Sky Reserve project
- SVO committees formed to develop Strategic Planning, Project Proposal, Finance & Fundraising, Architectural Design, Events & Programs – public invited to join
- First telescope operator training session conducted for SVO working group
- SVO Delivers star party at Deer Springs Ranch
- Participates in 3rd annual Southwest Astronomy Fest to provide solar and night sky telescope viewing for the public at Pipe Spring NM
- Discussions begun with Kane County Attorney to explore public/private partnerships
- Kane County designates liaison to SVO
- SVO working group holds monthly meetings to pursue goals and objectives
- University of Utah’s South Physics Observatory Program Director meets with SVO in Kanab
- SVO receives first pledge for estate bequest of telescopes and related astronomy equipment
Again, thank you so much for your interest and contributions to this very cool and exciting project!
Please make a year-end cash contribution, or by check, made out to Stellar Vista Observatory!!
Stellar Vista Observatory’s needs for 2020:
- Help promote & produce monthly star parties around Kanab, Kane County and the Arizona Strip
- Assist with fundraising to help finance the construction of the observatory
- Offer your skills in writing, grant research, editing or volunteer coordination
- Technology expertise needed in graphic design & web content development
- Talent welcomed for communication, correspondence and public outreach
If you’d like to help with any items and initiatives listed above, or learn more about SVO’s volunteer opportunities, please contact us!
Current Board of Directors List:
- Rich Csenge – President
- Paul Barron – Vice President
- Mark Stone – Secretary
- Linda Stone – Treasurer
- Von Del Chamberlain – Director
- Kelly Brown – Director
- Dave Lane – Director
SVO Working Group:
- Rich Csenge
- Kelly Brown
- Von Del Chamberlain
- Paul Barron
- Bob Kaczowka
- Megan Smith
- Mark Stone
- Linda Stone
- Dave Lane
- Josh Klina
- Laura Klina
SVO seeks to further expand its Board of Directors. Please get in touch to find out more about how you can help make Kanab’s Stellar Vista Observatory the great success it will become. Call 435-644-3735.
Thanks and happy holidays from the Stellar Vista Observatory Directors and Working Group!